So have you gleaned enough from the cards to try a few readings? How about for yourself, family or a few friends? The best way to get started is to jump right in! But first, let’s talk about setting the mood, I’m not talking about anything overly dramatic… What you are going for is an atmosphere of peace and tranquility so that you may better concentrate and channel your higher consciousness.
Here are some tips from the venerable cartomancer-to-the-stars Louise Woods for getting into the mystical mood, whether reading for yourself or someone else:
1. Light a few candles – either pink or white will do nicely. They are highly spiritual colors.
2. Incense? Of course. Make it fragrant but not cloyingly so. Use only enough to gently cleanse the air around you.
3. If you want music, listen to whatever relaxes you before the reading. Music during a reading, even soothing New Age music, can be distracting.
4. No need to dim the lights or shut the blinds unless you’re worried about the guy with the telescope across the way.
5. Sit comfortably, regally if you must. Keep both feet on the floor; no need for cross-legged contortions. It could block psychic energy flow. Remember, you want to be able to reach the cards easily and see them clearly.
6. If you think they may pose a problem, gently banish the kids and pets to another room. Now let’s put a solid-colored cloth on the table, a glass of water on the side, some fresh flowers if you’d like, and we’re all set.
And remember this: I’m all for fun and games, not compulsion or unnatural bonding to a deck of cards. You provide the insight; they provide the tool to help focus your consciousness.